Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '07 Steel Blue Unlimited Sahara Build

'07 Steel Blue Unlimited Sahara Build

Finally I'll be able to start my build-up on my JK. I'm going for a build that will allow some crawling while still able to hit the dunes at speed. I'm working with 4ws.com to get this ball rolling and completed before I return to the states. Can't beat the free shipping and deals they offer.
    I call it "CAIN". Build started March 2009

Phase I: COMPLETED*
    • Rock Krawler 5.5" X Factor Plus Coil Over Long Arm + Heavy Duty Tie Rod, Drag Link, and Bilstein Shocks
    • Rubicon Electric Disconnect Swaybar
    • Superior 5.13 Gears
    • Tom Woods Driveshafts
    • Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper + Stinger
    • LOD Signature Series Shorty Rear Bumper Gen2 Tire Carrier
    • LOD Rock Rails
    • Gerry Can Holders and Cans
    • Trail Rack
    • Xenon Flat Fenders (Painted to Match)
    • Walker Evans 17x8.5" 5x5 Beadlocks
    • 39x14.50-17" Pitbull MadDogs
    • Warn Powerplant with Viking Orange 3/8x100' Synthetic Line with Winch Safety Thimble Eye and 10' HD Line Protector
    • AEV ProCal
    • Dana 30 USA Alloy Chomoly Axle Shafts
    • Rock Hard Transmission, Transfer Case, Gas Tank, and Evap Skid Plates
    • Rock Hard Full Safety Cage
    • Rugged Ridge XHD Skid Plate
    • Tuffy Security Deck Enclosure
    • Cobra 75 WX ST
    • 102" Whip Antenna
    • Wild Boar Fastback T-Top Painted to Match
    • MyGIG (Lockpicked)
    • Completely Detailed Upon Delivery

Phase II: STARTED December 2009
    • Re-work Rear RK Suspension (This will be impressive)
    • Currie Rock Jock Dana 60's
    • ARB Lockers
    • PSC Steering
    • 17x8.5" 5x5.5 Walker Evans Beadlocks (Ring Painted to Match Jeep)
    • Body Gets Trimmed for Tire Rub Issues
    • Atlas II 4-Speed Transfer Case (2.72:1, 3.8:1 and 10.3:1)
    • 1350 Tom Woods Drive Shafts
    • Front and Rear SRT-8 Seats (Power and Heated)
    • Delta Quad Bar Xenon Headlights
    • Delta Xenon Fog Lights
    • Delta Skybar Xenon Lightbar
    • Delta 150 Driving Lights
    • Delta Windshield Light Mounts
    • LED Rock/Trail Lights at all 4 Wheel Wells
    • Custom "12VoltGuy" Switch Panel for Lights, Air, and Winch
    • 2 Gallon On-board Air Tank
    • 2nd Air Chuck Routed to Rear
    • Repair Tail Gate (Custom Sheet-metal to Smooth it out and Raised JEEP Lettering)
    • Relocate Radio Antenna to Rear Bumper and Replace it with Trail Rated Badge
    • Sponsor Sticker Application

Phase III: SCHEDULED September 2010
    • 6.1 Hemi install (Swapping to 5-sp Auto)
    • Custom 3" Dual Exhaust
    • AEV Heat Reduction Hood (Painted to Match)
    • River Raider Snorkel (Painted to Match)
    • Steering Cooler
    • Transmission Cooler
    • Dual Yellow Top Optima Batteries
    • 18 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank
    • Skid Plate for Auxiliary Fuel Tank
    • Auto Meter - Trans Temp, Water Temp, Aux Fuel Level, Oil Temp
    • Complete Speaker Upgrade (still looking for the right speakers)
    • Full Dynamat Interior

* = Installed

PICS:
    SRT-8 seats prior to install
    -
    -

17x8.5" Walker Evans Beadlocks

39.5x14.50-17" Pitbull MadDogs

Front Dana 30 Gear and Suspension Work in Progress

Rugged Ridge XHD w/Stinger and Warn Powerplant - RK 5.5 Comp Installed (stock wheels and tires)

LOD Shorty Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

Shot of the Coil Over

Phase I nearly completed

Side Shot

Shot from the front, underside

Phase I completed

Wild Boar Fastback T-Top Painted to Match

Removed trail rack and gerry can holders - will reinstall as needed for trail use

Happy 4th of July

Finally took some pic of some minor flex. I was limited though. the rear tire was rubbing. It will be corrected next time its in the shop.

swaybar connected:

tire rub:

swaybar disconnected:

and pics of the sound system. (found them)

its showing the old RF P3's that after a year of use blew. right now it has Sony Xplodes. they were cheaper and perform much better. deeper bass with more kick than the more expensive P3's

well last weekend i made it back to that "hill". this time instead of disconnecting the swaybar links i pushed the button. (yeah, i forgot it was there) HA! anyways the JK went up higher and flexed more. the rear tires did rub but only the inside of the xenon fenders (plastic part that runs along the body where i first took off the paint). i didnt hit the corners this time. might have been because i aired down from 25psi to 5psi. i did go back to the original spot and made it to the middle of that 2nd rock. the body seemed to stay more level this time around.
    if it hadnt rained friday i could have gone higher. even in 4lo i was loosing grip on the grass. lockers would have helped. i was mostly playing around on the other side of the hill. behind the JK in the other pics. its a bit steaper on that side.
    while messing around i made up my mind and will be going with an automatic transmission during the hemi swap. ive been debating it for over a year now. it was too much of a pain to control the clutch, break and go pedals. plus i dont have the time to learn before i deploy again and the JK hits the 4ws.com shop.
    the v-6 just doesnt have the power to climb at idle with all the extra wieght it has to pull around. it just sits there and dies. give it some go juice and manage the clutch and you start to wonder. "what is that smell?" doh!! id rather go auto than change a clutch in the field.
    ill be getting a better steering pump as well. these big tires are starting to take its toll on it. this pump was replaced in 2008 after the last time i did some wheeling, before the mods.

sorry no pics of that day's activities. i was having too much fun to think about pics.
    oh, if anyone has the warn powerplant. how long does it take for the air to build up before i can air up again? i turned it on and waited for 30 mins. the pump would turn on and off every 2 mins for 5 seconds. i wasnt getting air. thankfully we had a bubble tank with us. which made quick work on the tires.
    during the 118 mile drive down today the JK seemed to wonder more on the highway. on the way back i had 20psi and it seemed better. just FYI for those others with maddogs. im still trying to find the happy psi for them. 30psi was too much and the tires would grab every defect in the road and follow it. they are smooth as silk on concrete but asfault they tend to follow the ruts that can pop up every now and then (depending on how old/used the road surface is) county roads with the tar and gravel crap is worse than a loose gravel dirt road. the ruts really make you "drive" the JK
    Phase II could start as soon as the end of november. i deploy again shortly and it will be time to take the JK back to 4ws.com for more work. the list hasnt changed but will be adding to it. should be done in time for EJS

MORE TO FOLLOW . . .

Any thoughts or comments would be helpfull for a successful build that works great and also looks good.

More pics to follow as i get them.

Re: '07 Steel Blue Unlimited Sahara Build

added more pics

here are the stock pics.

Oct 13th, 2006 the day i picked it up

Stuck on July 4th, 2008

sneaking in a wider shot of the sub box after the tuffy security deck install

ive had a few people asking if a 40" tire will fit the LOD tire carrier. the answer is YES. today i was taking measurements of the tuffy security deck for another question (15" at its lowest from the bottom of the lid to the top of the "trunk lid" and 15 1/2" to the floor) and i went ahead and installed the hi-lift jack, trail rack, and gerry can holders.

here are the pics of the installs:

LOD Gerry Can Holder with Spacer (needed for tires over 37")

60" Hi-Lift jack installed (i used grade 8 9/16th bolts that were 2" long and a couple washers)

one of the gerry can holders installed

both holders and trail rack installed

you can see i do not need the hi-lift isolator to keep it from rattling. the trail rack put enough pressue on the handle to keep it very snug

all closed up and ready for the tire

shots of the damage my speaker box did 4th of July 2008 after a jump tossed it into the air and slammed back onto the tail gate. 2nd pic shows how the gate sheet metal buckled a little bit. with the hard top on you could put you arm in the hole before we pulled most of the bent metal back out.

Tuffy Security Deck. one of my most favorite mods

Tire installed

lots of room from the top of the tire to the trail rack

rear view

space between tire and gerry can holder - this is with my 39" tire. there is room for a 40" but i dont think a 42" would fit

3rd brake light clearance

finished for today

small update today.
    fornt driver's seat mounts are done, still finishing the wiring for it.
    rear seat mounts are nearly completed but found a big issue. no room for passengers. they sit too close to the front seats and getting in and out would be a pain. looks like i will be loosing the tuffy security deck. we are looking into moving the rear seats back about 4-6 inches and inboard 3-4 inches to get them installed with plenty of room.
    Delta headlights are installed and look great.
    i sold the walker evans beadlocks and the JK is sitting on stock wheels now. ill try to get a shot of how that looks with the 5.5" RK lift.
    now for the images...

1st front passenger seat installed.

2nd room with stock bench rear seat.

3rd Kevin at 4ws.com temp installed one of the SRT-8 seats in his JK to show the lack of room.

4th delta headlights installed.

12VoltGuy came through. the switch panel showed up unexpectedly today.

• Master swtich for winch
    • Winch in and out
    • Front ARB Locker
    • Rear ARB Locker
    • Front Fog lights on, Rear bumper lights on, (rear lights still come on when in reverse), or all off
    • Rock lights on/off
    • Air compressor on/off
    • Atlas II t-case high/low gearing

Blue LED to indicate on or off. this will be located on the center stack above the MyGIG

Comment

Looks awsome! And it has doors!

Oh and you need to shave

Comment

and a hair cut.

Nice ride Joe....enjoy your mudding!

Comment

DUDE! Im gonna change your name to Carrottop! (without the Beard & Muscle LOL)

Awsome pics NOW thats what I call A JEEP!

Comment

Just now noticed how huge those tires are!

Comment

Finally took some pic of some minor flex. I was limited though. the rear tire was rubbing. It will be corrected next time its in the shop.

swaybar connected:

tire rub:

swaybar disconnected:

and pics of the sound system. (found them)

its showing the old RF P3's that after a year of use blew. right now it has Sony Xplodes. they were cheaper and perform much better. deeper bass with more kick than the more expensive P3's

Comment

When's the next time it's in the shop?

Comment

updated build phase lists. added more pics to the 1st 2 posts. latest and greatest added as well.

just about a month left and should be done. ill head back soon as well.
                  i cant wait to see how this thing rides.

Comment

whoops forgot one more pic...

lights are all installed now...

Comment

Smaller tires? (last photo)

Looking good, looking forward to see it whem it's finnished, oh and did you buy a SLR as you said you might?

I would defenetly want one of these! Should start a company that customize cars, I mean unuggly cars. Not like all those ugly hotrods and such

Comment

im actually looking at SLK. i like hardtop convertibles. AMG of course and most likely used since they are great cars and are cheaper off the lot that way.

yes it has stock wheels and tires on it now. i sold my wheels because the new axles are larger and different lug pattern. the old wheels would not fit, even with adapters. tires are stacked up next to the jeep.

same wheels different lug pattern showed up earlier this past week. with the stock wheels and tires, its easier to tune the suspension and keep the dredded death wobble away. if the suspension is out of alignment it will develop a wobble at higher speed that makes it completely uncontrollable. the front end shakes like crazy. usually pops up when hitting a bump on the highway. once it is set-up the real tires go on and more adjustments are made for the larger diameter.

its going to have the same stance, just ride on 4 coil-over shocks rather than 2 and 2 coils + shocks in the rear. more flex, better ride on and off road and be able to take jumps better. coil-overs are more expensive but you gain more articulation, better ride, and can adjust the ride for on and off road easily

theres a good chance when the new wrangler model comes out (few more years) ill pick up a 2 dr rubicon and start a new build. im actually looking forward to that.

Comment

Picked it up today. I took 80 pics while I waited for the finishing touches. I did not resize them yet. It's late and I'll get around to it later. But here is a link to view all the pics of "CAIN".

Phase II Pics (Delivery Day)

Here are a couple pics though. Sorry about the size...

Full droop while up in the air. we were adjusting the coil-overs and adding about 1" of lift. Right now the top of the Delta lightbar is at 79". it will sag a bit once the rear coils settle.

Rear coil-over at full droop. no rubbing. though there is just over 1/4 between the coil-over and the frame.

SRT-8 seats installed. they are comfy.

It doesn't look like it but the tire missed the coil-over.

Rear RockJock III also can see how the coil-overs are mounted.

Tailgate came out great

the 200 mile drive back was mostly uneventfull. though since the rear coil-overs take up so much space the rear swaybar is removed.
                          it is noticable when driving on the highways. the tail moves more than expected over angeled expansion joints.
                          the Jeep rocks from side to side and front to back in relation to which tire hits first. It does move about a foot back and forth until the cycle is complete.
                          it can be unerving if one does not pay attention to the road ahead of them. I'm adding a rear Anti-rock swaybar for the next phase.
                          its not enough of a movement to concern me with the trip to Moab. potholes are no problem as well as railroad tracks (well, when they are perpendicular to the wheels)

going from 5.13 to 5.38 with the same 39" tires is noticable as well. i dropped 1 MPG but have a bit more power. 60 MPH im at around 2300 RPM.
                          3000 rpm at 70 mph. the jeep climbs through the gears quickly.

the Delta headlights are a vast improvement over the stock lights. the Delta fog lights are super bright and have a wider angle as well.
                          rock lights are LED pod looking guys. work great but the pics didnt come out very well. iphone sucks at night.

the 12VoltGuy switch panel looks like it should have come from Jeep that way.

Kevin wired in a trick soleinoid for the warn powerplant. we all know the winch will not work if the airtank has pressure.
                          warn did this so you did not over pressure the tank when the winch is in use. odd, i know. well when i hit the switch for the winch,
                          it energizes the soleinoid and dumps the air out of the tank. its going to be fun doing that when someone is taking out winchline. LoL

Gerry cans were painted to match the JK but I left the "X" unpainted (red). then we shot the cans with a clearcoat to keep
                          them from flaking off later. they look great.

Comment

VID LINK right click and save as.. to view

small vid of the JK performing on one of the staircases on Moab Rim today

Comment

your truck looks awesome in that video there Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X