Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back after the trip to the north (with photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back after the trip to the north (with photos)

Back after spending time with my uncle who passed away on May 31st in cancer. He lived in the north with his wife, about 8 miles north of the Arctic Circle. The Village is called Korpilombolo (Nicknamed korpis) which was "founded" but my ancesters in the 1600 if i remember correctly.

Anyways, took some photos of the nature while there.

They can be found at:

www.sokwe.se

Foto explanation:

1: The house where he lived and where his wife now lives alone. Was built in 1907 by my uncles father's father. The barn on the left is his wifes aswell

2: Same house with the flag rasied to half the lenght of the pole to signal that my uncle has passed away. All the dogs in the village howled at 09:00 AM with the church bells playing in the background, first and only time I've wittnessed such a thing, never happend before nor after as long as I was there.

3: Sunset at 11:20 PM overlooking the lake below the house. Should be midnight sun now (The sun never sets during little over a month)

4: Sunset same night at 11:11 PM just closer to where the sun set that night

5: Old building with a typical Arctic design with the base being smaller and then get's larger (outwards) as it gets higher. Usually used for storing wood for heating nowadays.

6: Rowboat by the calm lake, with the reflection of the forest on the other side

7: My uncles caravan which he has used once or twice while he managed his forests that he inherited from his father, but I think he saw it as more hassel then it was a benefit. But I'm not sure.

8: Shot at 10:07 PM overlooking the lake. It was not much wind, my uncle died at 00:50 AM the following day.

9: Well this is as you can see another sunset (I like sunsets ) photo, this time a house by the lake is posing with a reflection in the water with the sky reflection in the water aswell

10: Sorry for all these sunset photos, but here's another

11: Sign of where the Arctic circle begins

12: Another old building along a path in the forests in Korpilombolo

Vila i frid morbror S?ren!

Re: I'm back after the trip to the north (with pho

Very sorry to hear of your uncles passing Alex....but knowing that he is no longer in pain may help you through this difficult time.

Comment

Re: I'm back after the trip to the north (with pho

Yeah, I was actually somewhat releved that he had died, sounds crude and raw but it just felt good that he was no longer in pain nor suffering in any other way. He died peacefully with his doughter holding his hand in his home, the way he wanted it

Have heared that it's quite common that you scream yourself to death with this type of cancer, so I'm very glad that he did not have any pains towards the end.

He looked like an angel in the coffin

Comment

Working...
      X