• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did I park my boat?

Oh right, it was section C!

The perfect momment for "Oops"

Re: Where did I park my boat?

I did a fine job there didn't I? You know it's hard when you hit those nearly verticle walls to put it on the walk next to the canal!!

Comment

Hehe yea, got to have a pretty good speed doing that. As of the storie the "pilot" tried to break but something went wrong

Comment

Originally posted by SilentTrigger*MFA*
        Hehe yea, got to have a pretty good speed doing that. As of the storie the "pilot" tried to break but something went wrong

You do know there are no brakes on a boat dont you?

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7SpwT3aUEs"]YouTube - Greenpeace boat hunted by the german police at Heiligendamm[/ame]

German police chacing greenpeace boat with a Combat Boat 90, as you notice it breakes right infront of the greenpeace boat at around 0:41

Shame they didn't have the .50 cal onboard

Comment

Boats Have No Brakes!!!! Its Called Putting the Engine in Reverse to Stop the Forward Motion.

Comment

NO!!!!! Combat Boat 90 has brakes!

brake1  /breɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [breyk] Show IPA noun, verb, braked, brak⋅ing.
              Use brake in a Sentence
              See web results for brake
              See images of brake
              –noun 1. a device for slowing or stopping a vehicle or other moving mechanism by the absorption or transfer of the energy of momentum, usually by means of friction.
              2. brakes, the drums, shoes, tubes, levers, etc., making up such a device on a vehicle.
              3. anything that has a slowing or stopping effect.
              4. Also called brakeman. a member of a bobsled team who operates the brake.
              5. Also called breaker. a tool or machine for breaking up flax or hemp, to separate the fiber.
              6. Also called press brake. a machine for bending sheet metal to a desired shape.
              7. Obsolete. an old instrument of torture.
              On that boat you don't put the engine in reverse to stop, there's two big steel plates thats pushed into the water, in other words a brake!

Comment

Actually ST and Crypt if you would do some research there are what's called control surfaces similar to a dive plane on a submarine that are used in conjunction with partially ducted water jet propulsion systems that are used in unison to make sudden speed reductions.....Boats are inherently un-brakeable. So in essence you both are correct in that the control surfaces are used to create greater drag on the boat, and the partially ducted jets are used in a reverse pattern to give the boat greater slowing capacity than a standard hulled boat. The boats hull and frame are made of and Aluminum alloy so these control surface would be a strengthened aluminum member of the hull to reduce weight and also slow down on the corrosion which is a big problem with maritime boats.

Comment

Thats what I said, CB90 uses two independent metal plates (or the better word "control surfaces" on the underside of the hull, one on each side to be able to control direction while breaking

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfqxmHpxfU"]YouTube - Stridsb?t 90H / Combat Boat 90H[/ame]

At 3:18 they do a crash stop with these plates (control surfaces)

And at 1:40 to be able to take the turn

Comment

but if you notice....the boat doesn't come to a complete STOP until it hits land...therefore boats aren't brakeable vehicles. On water coming to a stop is a relative term....even anchored boats are always in motion in both the X and Y axis since they are on a fluid plane.

So stop while you're both ahead....I told you in essence you are BOTH correct.

Comment

It brakes and it has brakes, thats a fact. Brake is used to reduce motion (in simple terms) so there for all boats have breaks and are breakable

Comment

you're arguing semantics Alex...

se?man?tics (sĭ-măn'tĭks)

n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
                        1. Linguistics. The study or science of meaning in language.
                        2. Linguistics. The study of relationships between signs and symbols and what they represent. Also called semasiology.
                        3. The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form: We're basically agreed; let's not quibble over semantics

they are not called brakes..they are called control surfaces....

Agreed brakes are used to slow vehicles. But they are also used to STOP vehicles. And as I said on water no vehicle comes to a complete stop...they are only slowed or kept in place by use of anchors.

and to be honest not all boats have brakes.....most boats in fact do not. They usually use reverse thrust to come to a relative stop. Ships in fact do not usually have control surfaces due to their mass....they use reverse thrust or side thrusters to maneuver itself...

Comment

I disagree

Comment

Working...
                          X